Saturday, March 21, 2009

Vegetable Fried Rice


Growing up this was a staple at our place whenever we had guests over. I used to call it "red rice" and I loved the aroma of this dish and could easily eat up double my normal quota of rice. My Mom obviously enjoyed that - knowing that I was getting a healthy dose of vegetables too ( I didn't eat any vegetable other than potatoes and onions - I think). I make this often at home - but I don't make it when we have guests over - not sure why...
Sending this to FIC -Pink hosted by Priya , started by Harini. Not sure if it is pink enough to qualify!
Also this goes to Sahaja for her Single Serve Recipes.

Ingredients

Cooked Basmati Rice - 2 cups
1 carrot - cut into thin slices
1 beetroot - cut into thin slices
1 red onion - cut into this slices
few pieces of cauliflower - cut into small pieces
2 Green chillies slit
1/4 tea spoon of ginger garlic paste
1 tea spoon of oil
salt to taste
lemon juice - 1/2 tea spoon (optional)
1 tea spoon ghee (optional)

1 - 2 cloves
small piece of Cinnamon
1 small cardamom

How to

Ground the cloves, Cinnamon and cardamom and keep aside.

Put oil in a pan and heat. Once it is hot add 1/4th of the ground masala from 1 above.
Add the green chillies and the onion and ginger-garlic paste.
Fry for 2 minutes and then add the beetroot and cover after adding salt.
Once the beetroot is cooked through in about 5-7 minutes, add the other vegetables and saute until all vegetables cooked through.
Add the rice and mix thoroughly.
Add more salt and cloves / Cinnamon mixture from step 1, if needed now.
Remove from the cooking stove and add a little bit of ghee and lemon juice (both are optional - but if you add it, they make this dish taste and smell heavenly).

No comments:

Post a Comment