Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pana Sankranti


Happy Oriya New Year! We celebrate Oriya New Year on Pana Sankranti which is considered the 1st day of the Solar Calendar. The day is called Pana Sankranti - since a special drink called Pana is served on this day. While I did know somethings (knowledge was limited to having the yummy Pana) about Pana Sankranti growing up, I learnt a lot more over the last few days by quizzing my Mom and reading up on the net. Here is some details I found on the importance of Pana Sankranti in Orissa from Festivals of India


While I would love to give the exact recipe of the Pana - I don't have it. Here is my version of it. It was yummy and everyone enjoyed it at home. So here goes my version of Pana.


Ingredients

1/2 cup freshly made paneer
1/2 cup apple peeled and cut into tiny pieces
1/4 cup mango peeled and cut into tiny pieces
1/4 cup banana peeled and cut into tiny pieces
1/2 cup Honey or Jaggery
1/2 cup yogurt
2 cardamom
handful of cashews ground separately
fistful of fresh grated coconut (optional)

How to

Put all the fruits, yogurt, paneer, cardamom and sugar in a mixie and mix well. Add about a cup of water to it and mix well. Serve fresh with ground cashew and fresh shredded coconut sprinkled on top...

23 comments:

  1. looks delicious & new to me. Thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a totally new recipe...&looks yummy too

    ReplyDelete
  3. new to me..i never heard of this too..happy new year:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh! Happy new year dear! Lovely drink... its hot here... wanna take a gulp.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trupti, Sangeetha, Lavanya and Priya - Pana is very popular in Orissa and everyone makes it... I think mine is the easy version of it. They mix everything with hand and add lot more stuff to the drink. Thanks for the encouragement - goads me to post often...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Thanks for the visit at my blog, do keep coming :)
    Loved this drink, paneer inclusion in juices/shakes is new to me, would def. love to try it sometime.
    Happy blogging.
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New year to u and ur Family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy new year dear...have more fun and happiness

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shama and Suparna - thank you... Yeah it is something typical Oriya I guess and tasted very good with all the delicious stuff in it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi dear, I have shared an award with you in my blog.. Pls accept it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks a lot dear! Overwhelmed and touched! You are a sweet-heart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi buddy i have awards for you in my blog, please accept it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much... So touched by your gesture...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey chk out another award for you in my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Sangeeta - don't know how to thank you enough!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe sounds very unique and perfect...whoo home made paneer, dude thats lot of work. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Malar! Yeah I guess thats why it is made only on special ocassions...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by and for the lovely comment.You have an awesome space here.Pana drink is new to me. Looks yummy and adding paneer to a drink sounds interesting. Will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Dhanya! Yeah sure please try and let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  20. your blog inspire me write something about food.Nice blog with oriya food.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If we will add curd,then it will more better i guess. My mom used to prepare like this with curd or milk.

    ReplyDelete