Thursday, March 8, 2012

Happy Holi with Methi Mathri


I called home and Mom was making preparations for  Holi. Usually she makes Dahi Vada and Aloo Dum and Spicy Bhujias for Holi... When I was young, my Papa's friends would come in huge groups of 10-15 to play Holi. Mom would have Dahi Vada and Aloo Dum prepared and ready for a group of 10. Once the 1st batch of men would leave, she and her team would quickly clean up the plates and get ready for the next batch of papa's friends. This would continue until noon. After noon, a big group of 10-15 ladies would come over with kids so that the moms could go play Holi. Holi was one colorful and Happy event! Happy Holi everyone - wherever you are! 

I made Methi Mathri to celebrate Holi. I am not brave enough to try Bhujias or Sevs and I did want to make something spicy and fried to keep the Holi spirit going. I called up Mom and took her recipe and tweaked it a little bit. It was really fun making (with Hindi music blasting in the background) these Mathris and remembering Happy Holi times...

Ingredients

1 cup Maida
1 cup Atta (whole wheat flour) 
1/3 cup sooji or rava
Salt to taste (I added about 1 tablespoon, but you can put a little bot more if you want it salty)
1 tablespoon of dried Kasoori methi (crumbled well with your hand)
1 tea spoon of ajwain seeds
1/2 tea spoon of black pepper powder
1/2 cup oil for making the dough
Additional oil for frying


How To

Start with mixing the dry ingredients (Atta, Maida, Sooji, Kasoori Methi, ajwain seeds, salt and black pepper powder) nicely in a large bowl.
Add a few tablespoons of oil to the mixture and mix well. Keep adding the oil in small quantities and kneading the mixture, until all the oil is incorporated and you get a mixture that looks like crumbs.



Add warm water and make a dough. Cover with a warm towel and leave aside for 15-20 min.
Make small bowls and roll out the dough (thick circles). I cant make circles, so I used a circular bottle cover to cut mine into shape.
Take a spoon/bread knife and prick the circles on both sides.
Now when you fry these circles in medium heat, they don't puff up like pooris.
Fry the circles in medium heat, until you get nice golden color Mathris.


Enjoy Mathris and have a Happy Holi!

40 comments:

  1. Happy Holi to you too...Never tried this ..will try it soon...Nice click ,Mathri's looks yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dhanya... let me know if you try it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holi, perfectly done mathris, have not tasted with methi, festivals always brings back so many memories..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hema - I know. That's why I love them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holi, though we never celebrated in our neck of wood. Like the mathris - i have only tasted the store bought one, looks crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well prepared mathris. Happy holi to you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Holi to you.... Mathris looks perfect and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...the mathris are just perfectly made dear...look absolutely delicious....happy holi to u :-)

    http://onlyfishrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. wish you and your family a happy holi...the methi mathri looks like just the sort of salty crunchy things that i love to chomp on

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Cham - I guess an excuse to eat fried stuff then, even if you dont celebrate Holi!
    @Anu , @Valarmathi , @Sonali - thanks...
    @Knife - I know... I love them for the same reason. deep fried, crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. super mathris, very tempting happy holi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very tempting and yummy snack, nicely done and looks very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made plain ones once...but never tried flavored mathri's.....looks crunchy and yum...Happy Holi...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy and crispy looking snack. Looks so good. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @maha, @Jaleela , @Aarthi, @Jeya - thanks.
    @Lubna - yes they are a lot like the plain ones, but slightly more spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happu Holi to you too and yummm crisp loking mathri

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have such fond memories of Holi in Bhubaneswar too :) Endless plates of homemeade sweets and snacks coming out of the kitchen constantly!
    Your mathris look really good! We used to make thin versions of this - not flaky, but thin diamond shaped and crispy. We used to call them nimkis!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Sukanya and @Raji- thanks...
    @Swati - I love those nimkis too. My son can eat them for all meals and hence I dont make them often...
    I will post it sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have heard about this , love it, sure must try,should be so flavourful !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Raks. Please let me know if you do try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Liked the pix with the Holi colours, going to read some of your other posts! I love Oriya food, though I've had very little of it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @sra - thanks... sure let me know what/how you like it here...

    ReplyDelete
  23. this award is waiting 4 u in my space..accept it...here is the link.
    http://mahaslovelyhome.blogspot.com/2012/03/sweet-lassiaward-time.html
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  24. mathri looks crispy and tempting dear
    bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Aruna - thanks... let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Dear,

    Belated wishes to you. The mathri looks great and with the methi flavour, it's too good to resist.


    FOODELICIOUS

    MARCH EVENT, ‘ONLY’- SOUTH INDIAN & COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy holi to you too. Love the matharis and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Somoo, thanks for visiting my space. You have a lovely blog. Love these mathris...they look so yum. Your new follower, Suchi

    ReplyDelete
  29. Somoo, this looks awesome. You made me so hungry!! http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those mathris look so so good! Absolutely perfect! Hope you had a wonderful Holi dear Somoo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Sharmila - thanks... Hope you are OK....

    ReplyDelete
  32. I normally prepare just spicy matris, will be adding methi next.

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Kanchan - perfect. Let me know if you like the addition!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Next time I prepare mathri,will follow ur recipe,..:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Notyet100 - sure let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete