Sunday, August 30, 2009
Pudina Pulao and ABC tag
We were having some guests over at short notice - well they called to say they would stop by and say hi but Mom wouldn't have any of it. They said they would in 1/2 hour and she had a simple menu of pulao, paneer and raita nearly ready before they got in. I thought she would make Jeera rice but instead she surprised us with this flavorful yummy rice. She probably put the whole menu together in 1/2 hr... I was amazed at the speed she can whip a whole meal together while I picked toys around the house. The rice was amazingly flavorful and simple which I am posting here. She doesn't measure anything of course and I was not really paying attention while she made this, so the measurements are approximates...
1 bunch of mint - cleaned
1/2 cup of yogurt
1/2 cup of small cut carrots
1/2 cup of cut beans (you can use frozen ones , if needed)
2 cups of cooked Basmati rice
2 green chillies
1 onion - sliced thinly
1 tea spoon of ginger garlic paste
2 small cinnamon pieces
1-2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon - ghee
salt to taste
Take mint leaves and salt and grind in a mixer. Add a pinch of salt and blend to fine consistency without adding any water. Mix well with the curd and keep aside.
Heat ghee on medium heat in large pan. When it is hot, add the spices (cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves) and saute them.
Then add the green chillies and onions, saute until onions turn translucent.
Now add the ginger-garlic paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Now add the vegetables and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the cooked rice and pureed mint paste. Fry for 1-2 minutes and turn off the stove.
The combination of the mint with the curd and the whole garam masalas is amazing.
My son loved it and calls it the green rice... He just ate the plain rice by himself and made a big mess, but I am not complaining... We had a very nice evening chatting and enjoying the simple delicious meal....
Also Lone Acorn has tagged me. Thanks dearie for thinking of me...
1. A – Available/Single? Nope
2. B – Best friend? Gang of 7
3. C – Cake or Pie? Cake
4. D – Drink of choice? Hot chocolate
5. E – Essential item you use every day? Laptop
6. F – Favorite color? Pink
7. G – Gummy Bears Or Worms? Gummy Bear
8. H – Hometown? Cuttack
9. I – Indulgence? Blogging and chocolates
10. J – January or February? None - both are too cold
11. K – Kids & their names? 2 , A and A (Princess and Prince)
12. L – Life is incomplete without? My Family
13. M – Marriage date? A Memorable Date
14. N – Number of siblings? None
15. O – Oranges or Apples? Oranges
16. P – Phobias/Fears? Cockroaches
17. Q – Quote for today? Have to think of one...
18. R – Reason to smile? Seeing my kids in the evening when I get back from work
19. S – Season? Summer - miss it a lot here
20. T – Tag 3 People? Shubha , Rekha , Chitra
21. U – Unknown fact about me? Hmmm, wont be so unknown then
22. V – Vegetable you don't like? Spinach
23. W – Worst habit? Procastination
24. X – X-rays you've had? Dental X-rays 5 year back
25. Y – Your favorite food? Goat Biryani
26. Z – Zodiac sign? Taurus
1. Link the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Share the ABCs of you.
4. Tag 3 people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
5. Let the 3 tagged people know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.
6. Do not tag the same person repeatedly but try to tag different people, so that there is a big network of bloggers doing this tag.