Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Vegetable Patua


Patua is a dish usally made by steaming/baking the items inside a leaf (like a banana leaf). Macha Patua (Fish) is most popular in Orissa/Bengal. While I had all the vegetables that goes inside a patua, I had no banana leaf to cook it in.

Ok, I didn't even make this dish. My mom made it last week and it was so good that we finished it off right away... Also she made it on a cooktop, but the same can be put in an oven and tastes great too... If you have the vegetables cut, this is an easy dish to put together and can be enjoyed on weekdays too.

Don't you think our authentic dishes are so healthy and easy to put together ? And I wonder why I don't make it often enough ?

Ingredients

1 cup of Eggplant - diced into small pieces
1 cup of cleaned/peeled red potatoes - diced (don't peel it, if you want to save time and some nutrients)
1/4 cup beans cut into small pieces
1/2 cup raw banana - cut into small pieces
1/4 cup raddish cut into small pieces
2-3 cups of fresh spinach - washed, cleaned and cut into large pieces

1 tea spoon Mustard seeds
1/4 tea spoon Cummin seeds
1/4 tea spoon poppy seeds
1-2 green chillies (to taste)
2-3 cloves of garlic (skip if you want it satvic)

Salt to taste
1 table spoon of Mustard Oil for cooking
handful of Badi

How To

Grind the mustard seeds, cummin seeds and poppy seeds with the green chillies and garlic. Add 2-3 table spoon of water and leave it aside for 10-15 min.

Heat a pan. Ad the mustard oil. Once the oil is hot, add all the vegetables and then top off with spinach and pour the mustard paste. Add Salt to taste and cover and let it cook on slow fire for 30-35 min.

After 1/2 hr, check if the vegetables is cooked, if not cook on high heat for few more minutes.

Remove from the fire.

Serve with Fried crushed Badi at the time of serving....

Updated
Here is a link to Sharmila's site who makes awesome Badis and awesome Bengali food. I have never made Badis at home, but mom and mil get me a batch every summer...

As I learnt from my blogger friends, patua is called Paturi in bengal. Ofcourse the fish one is more popular in Orissa and Bengal. The parsis have a similar fish dish called patrani machhi...


47 comments:

  1. Really authentic recipe Somoo... looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. authentic traditional recipe. Keep going and rocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. traditional and very nice recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many variations of egg plant,this sounds interesting and tempting :)

    btw what is badi??

    ReplyDelete
  5. well never heard of this dish....must be good....

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi somoo,
    I'd heard of fish paturi :) from my husband and he had made it for me once ;) it's too awesome, hey I didn't know that something like that is made with veggies too!!
    Thanks for the authentic Oriya recipe dearie :)
    TC

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really new to me...
    nice recipe...
    thaks for posting...somoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya u r rite,authentic recipes have everything equally balanced!!

    Nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is new to me, sounds very unique and traditional, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bengali verison is paturi and always thought of it as fish. This looks interesting to try. parsi's have a patrani machhi. Same concept byt green pudina, dhaniya chutney instead of mustard paste

    ReplyDelete


  11. Padma, Shanti, Shama, kittymatti - thanks

    Varunavi - Badi is same as Vadi. Its usually made of urad dal and then dried in the sun and stored for years in air tight containers... I know other states have it too - dont know the names. Its the brown pieces on top that is put... Sharmila has a lovely post on it, I will check with her and put a link...

    Rekha, Sushma - if you like mustard paste, you will love it.

    Suparna - yes fish paturi in bengal and macha patua in Orissa. Its very popular...
    Sangi, Raks and Parita - thanks. try it if you like mustard paste flavour....

    Knife - Paturi... Didnt know thats what it is called in Bengal. But I have eaten it in Calcutta with fish. Wow - Parsi's have a similar one too ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this authentic recipe....the steaming or baking must have made the veggies very flavorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Lovely recipe ..Thanks for sharing :) Looks soo flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of this dish b4..thanx for sharing such an authentic recipe...great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bengali & oriya food is quite similar ... Yes we made this with fish & called it paturi ... Never had with vegetable . Nice recipe & will try with vegetable next time ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice recipe and new to me. Looks delicious and have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

  17. Gita, Mangala, Vrinda - thanks. I am glad you like it.
    Dolon - yes Bengali and Oriya food are very similar. Its quite popular with fish, but I love this vege version too...
    A2Z, Hari Chandana - glad you like it...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like all the other Bengalis before have already mentioned ... we call it paturi. Did not know that posto aau jeera bhi diyonti. :-)
    Vegetables deyi thore try koribi. (how's my oriya) :-)

    ReplyDelete

  19. Sharmila - if you add jeera and posto with the mustard, there is very less chance of it getting bitter and also soothes the mustard's pungent taste. Thats my mom's words - I just follow along...
    And you Oriya is perfect. Do you go back to Orissa ?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow looks delicious! Nice to know about this traditional dish. Would love to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow looks delicious and love the into u give when u post authentic dish.. nice to know oriya dishes..

    ReplyDelete
  22. am glad i found ur blog..how else wud i know of authentic dishes from various states?btw, wats crushed badi?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pooja - if you like mustard paste , you will like it for sure...
    Pavithra and Shobha - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. such an authentic recipe...never heard of this before!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. paturi is the Bong term too...patrani machhi is the signature parsi dish

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, Iam so going to try this .. Bookmarked

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love mixed veggies with bori...yours looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. somoo,Lovely authentic dish!!I love the old traditional recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds authentic..looks good:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. am glad i found ur blog..how else wud i know of authentic dishes from various states? btw, wats crushed badi?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice one Sonmoo..:)..luv nything wid eggplants..:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yeah banana leaves are pretty darn hard to come by in my town too... but I bet it tastes awesome made either way.

    ReplyDelete
  33. nice and spicy yummy curry looks so yum. Yes I to heard the almost same recipe in parsi cuisine with fish yes it is patrani machi and that gives a very delicious flavor to your curry (plantain leaf)

    ReplyDelete

  34. Aquadaze - thanks.
    Knife - I updated my post. Thanks a lot for the info on patrani machhi.
    Deesha - please let me know how it tastes...
    Mandira - I love the crunch of badi on vegetables
    Ramya,Chitra,Valarmathi - thanks
    Shubha - I put in a decription for Crushed badi. Hope that gives you an idea what it is
    Varsha - I love anything with eggplant too
    Anudivya - no banana leaves here, but it was still good.
    Rekha - yes knife told me about it. Its so nice to hear about different cusines from different regions.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a beautiful Blog looks so yummy!
    Thanks for sharing your recipe:)


    Welcome~~~
    http://foodcrate.com
    Join Post your comments:)
    and if you can visit me I can visit you:) follow me on twitter.com/foodcreate.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sounds flavorful And looks authentic too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This sounds interesting and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  38. somoo, check out my blog for ur kreatuv award. pls accept it.

    http://munchcrunchandsuch.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/tomato-kuruma/

    ReplyDelete
  39. Somoo,I too have nominated u for Kreativ blogger award..pls accept it

    ReplyDelete
  40. First time to your blog.. u have an awesome blog dear.. I like paturi very much abd I too make Badi at home as I used this badis in several dishes.
    Do visit my blog when u find time..

    ReplyDelete