Monday, January 19, 2009

7 legumes for my legume love affair


I was driving down to Costco with my little one in tow and I was listening to NPR radio. They were discussing the new movie 'Slum dog Millionaire'. It was so much fun listening to comments from people calling in and also listening to Rahman's music in the background... It sure did transport me back to India.... And then that show ended and the science desk started and they started discussing the therapeutic effects of copper. That's when I thought of serving more often in my copper utensils...

This dish was not made by me. This is my nanny's dish - I think it is typically north Indian. The legumes come together so nicely and the dish smells awesome... Both my kids love eating it and it is so healthy...

I thinks its the perfect entry for the blog event: Announcing My Legume Love Affair, Seventh Helping! , the event brain child of Well-Seasoned Cook Susan

Also sending this to JFI: Chickpea

Ingredients:
Chole (Chick peas) - 1/2 cup
Rajma (Kidney beans) - 1/4 cup
Black eyed Dal - 1/4 cup

dry Green peas - 1/4cup
dry Yellow peas - 1/4 cup
Green mung Dal - 1/2 cup
Yellow Chana Dal - handful (I added to this to the original recipe to get to 7 legumes - usually I don't add this)


Salt to taste
Turmeric powder - 1 tea spoon
Red chili powder - 1/2 tea spoon
Onion - 1 large
Tomatoes - 2 large
Ginger garlic paste - 1 table spoon
Garam masala - 1 tea spoon
Oil - 2 tea spoon

Also these quanties of Dal feed a family of 5 atleast twice - so reduce quantity as needed.


Directions:


Take all these legumes and soak them in water overnight. The rajma, chole and blacked eyed dal should be soaked separately from the others. You can choose any other Dals you like I guess...

Next day cook the Rajma and Black eyed Dal and Chole in the pressure cooker with water, salt and turmeric powder for 15 min (Using the pressure cooker for the legumes that take longer to cook). Take the other Dal's and cook in a different pan with salt and water and turmeric powder.

Take another pan. Add oil and then add the cut Onions. After the Onion starts turning golden brown, add the ginger garlic paste and keep frying until the raw smell disappears.

Add the cut tomatoes and fry again for few minutes. Add the cooked Dal, chili powder and the garam masala.

This dish tastes real great with rotis or parathas, but works as well with Rice too. Its an all time family favorite.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for the lovely entry to JFI Chickpea. I really like the opportunity JFI gives me to know about new bloggers in the indian food world!
    best,
    ms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...
    Its lovely to know there is a new bee like me in the blogging world. I wanted to post Sourashtrian traditional dishes just the way you do. Welcome to blogging and have a lovely time here.

    Love,
    Priya

    ReplyDelete