Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mitha Suji


My friend had invited me for dinner and I knew she loved this dish. She is a maharastrian and they call it Sheera while it is called Suji Halwa elsewhere. But for us in Orissa it is one and only 'Mitha Suji'.

My husband doesn't like sweets that much and I have been trying to cut down on sweets too. So I hadn't made Mitha Suji in a long time at home - well at least for 7-8 years. I called up my mother-in-law to get this recipe. Its easy and was done in a jiffy. Wish I could get my kids to eat this - its so easy to make and so yummy! Well at least I enjoyed it.
To make it kid friendly, you can cut into diamond shape or use a cookie cutter to cut out into different shapes.
Of course we in Orissa love to eat this as breakfast with Aloo bhaja.


Ingredients

Suji - 2 cup
Sugar - 1 cup ( or about 3/4th cup if you like it less sweet)
Ghee - 1/4 cup (you can skip the oil and make this 1/2 cup too)
Oil - 1/4 cup
Cashew Nuts – a handful
Raisins - a handful
Milk - 1 cup
Water - 2 cup


Directions

To start with , roast suji in a frying pan for about 5-6 minutes stirring in between. Keep the heat low so that the suji doesn't burn and turn brown. Switch off the heat when you get a nice aroma of the fried suji.


In a separate bowl start heating the milk + water. Once it is about to boil, add the sugar and mix well. (Use the microwave if you have one. It will be done in 2 min)

Take the raisins and soak in water for a few minutes.

Take a deep pan. Put the ghee, fry the cashew nut till the nuts turn little golden brown and then add the fried suji. Fry for 1/2 a minute and then add the milk + water + sugar mixture. Stir vigorously to avoid forming lumps. Once the liquid is absorbed, add the raisins and move the pan from the flame and cover with a lid.

Serve it hot with Aloo Bhaja (Alloo Fry).

How easy is that ?

1 comment: