Sunday, January 25, 2009

Amba Khatta or Mango Chutney

Every time I go to India, I pack a bottle or two of mango pickles. Also when my Mom comes over, she makes me the best possible mango pickle. Unfortunately, I have run out of my pickles and so I have been the next best thing to amba achar is amba khatta. Last time I was in the Indian grocery store, I got some frozen mangoes. I had tried this mango chutney or amba khatta and it was a real disaster. The mangoes in that pack were so bitter, that it left me wanting for the real thing. So I got 2 mangoes this time and used one to make this khatta. My daughter is a big fan of this too, so we have been competing on finishing off this. My husband who doesn't like sweet food, even he tasted it and said it was good. Khatta in Oriya means sour, so this dish has to have the right combination of sweetness and sourness....


This is a speciality from my mom's kitchen, she has had written it for me in my recipe book in Oriya....

Ingredients


1 Mango (washed, peeled and cut into small pieces)
Panch Phutan - 1 tea spoon
Curry leaves - hand full
Meethi powder - 1 tea spoon
Jeera powder - 1/2 tea spoon
Sugar - 1/2 cup ( add more depending on taste)
Salt to taste
2 green chilien (slit into 1/2)
Oil - 1 tea spoon

How to

Put a little oil in a pan and let it get hot. Add the panch phutan and the curry leaves and the green chillies. Then add the cut mangoes and salt. Cover and cook until the mangoes are soft.

Move the mangoes to the side and add the sugar. Let it caramalize and then add about 1/2 cup water. Let the mangoes mix well with the sugar, add the methi powder and Jeera pwder. Taste and see if you need to add any sugar. Add extra water if you like a thinner consistency.

This tastes awesome with Pakhala or even with Aloo paratha.



Amba Khatta is my entry to the Chutney/Dip Mania" Event @ Mane Adige hosted by Ramya

4 comments:

  1. is panch phutan and panch puran are same 5 ingredients? I like this chutney we slightly make without the panch puran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there...
    thanks for stopping by my blog....Im happy u liked it.....U've got a lovely blog in here....but all ur dishes are very new to me and never heard ones:)

    ReplyDelete