Saturday, January 17, 2009

Utterly delicious Dal


It was Christmas time and I had taken both my kids for lunch to work. Some of my colleagues (women) joined us in the cafeteria. The kids were having a blast while we were discussing kids and their food tantrums. That's when one of them asked my 7 year old daughter - 'Do you like anything your Mom cooks ?' She said 'yes - yellow Dal'. Everyone burst out laughing...

Since then every time I get down to making this Dal I remember that incident. While making it today, I thought of posting it here..


Ingredients:

Arhar Dal - 1 cup for the whole family
Tomatoes - 2 large ones
Onions - 1 large
Curry leaves - few
Green Chillies - 2
Panch Phutan - 2tsp
Turmeric Powder to taste
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tea spoon
Hing - pinch (optional)


Directions:

In a pan, add Dal, cut tomatoes, turmeric powder, salt and twice the amount of water as Dal. Add more water if needed. Boil it till the Dal is cooked.

Baghar:
Heat oil in pan, add panch phutan and green chilies and allow spluttering.

I also add a pinch of hing at this point (optional)

Then add onions and curry leaf and fry till onions turn brown.

Add the whole baghar to the Dal or add a little bit of baghar to each serving of the Dal to make it look special!


Enjoy my daughter's favorite Dal .Sending this to FIC - YELLOW hosted by Sunshinemom.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Welcome to FIC, and thanks for treating me to the healthy delicious dal!

    ReplyDelete