Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chuin Bhaja (Drumsticks Bhaja)



On our trip to the Indian grocery store this time, my husband picked up some fresh drumsticks. Though he doesn't fancy it much, the kids and I love it. But usually I don't bring or cook the fresh kind unless Mam or MIL are around. The drumsticks available in the frozen section work very well in Sambar, but I had to try to use the fresh ones for the real heavenly bhaja. So this was my 1st brave attempt at making 'Chuin Bhaja' , the one that I have eaten million times at home.

Its simple yet delicious. I love it most with Pakhala bhata, but it tastes good as a side dish with Rice and Dal too...

Ingredients

Chuin (Drumstick) - about 4-5 longsticks
Aloo (Potatoes) - about 2-3 small ones
Oil - 1 tea spoon
Panch Phutan
Haldi (Turmeric)
Salt
Whole Red Chillies - 2 (optional)

Wash and Cut the Drumsticks to about 2 inches size.
Wash and cut the potatoes in round shape. Do not take the skin off.

Put the drumsticks and potatoes in a bowl with water and salt and turmeric and let it boil for 10-15 min until the drumsticks are a little soft. It would be better to add the potatoes a little while after you add the drumsticks, since the drumsticks take a little extra time to cook. Drain water and keep aside.


Take a deep pan, put the oil. Once it smokes, add the red chillies (optional) and panch phutan. Let the phutan splutter for a bit, before adding the potatoes and drumsticks. Add Salt and Turneric to taste.



Fry for a little bit (2 minutes) and serve hot. Tastes really good with 'Pakhala bhata'.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Somoo...its me..mtc.I love Drum Sticks ! This looks YUMMY and healthy ! It seems the regular grocery stores don't carry it...and buying drum sticks requieres a drive to the indian store. Also just wanted to let you that that I had to start a new blog. the old one was just not working out with the community I was in ( i think you know why). So I decided to wipe the slate clean... : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You love drumsticks ? Wow - me too!
    Yep when I saw the cake I recognized right away. The new one is so pretty! Have fun and keep those people away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put the drumsticks and potatoes in a bowl with water and salt and turmeric and let it boil for 10-15 min until the drumsticks are a little soft. It would be better to add the potatoes a little while after you add the drumsticks, since the drumsticks take a little extra time to cook. Drain water and keep aside. buy lawn clothes online , gul ahmed lawn 2015 with price online shopping

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful article with a lot of useful information, thanks for sharing it with us. ..The passport holder requires a visa for Turkey . Without a visa you can not enter into the Turkish country. so, please take a valid visa before starting your turkey journey specially for tourist or business purposes.


    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I have read your article and it's so good I will share it with family and friends. I just informed the travelers who want a Visa for Turkey from US that it is easy to get through the online process. US citizens who wish to travel to Turkey can apply for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The article you wrote is very interesting and easy to read and understand. I hope your audience enjoys it. Passengers who wish to visit Turkey and need a e visa Turkey can apply online at the website linked above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You so much for this vital Blog. I really like this type of blog. if are you looking for a Best delivery partner then you should definitely Consider the Handover. it is the best delivery Partner for food and other Items

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm captivated by the unique angles you explore in your blog. It's like stepping into different worlds with each post. Your ability to present diverse perspectives is truly commendable! Azerbaijan Airlines merges with Buta Airways, enhancing travel options.

    ReplyDelete