Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup


Winter days always reminds me of soup and I go hunting for my recipe book to make soups. There are several soups that we make at home, some that carry the smell from home and some that have been adopted from the cafeteria food from work.

This one posted is easy, kid friendly and tasty and something that we used to have at home. My mom swears off garam masala from soups while I add a little bit to make it taste desi... I know, I know - who has garam masala in soups ? Your choice - you can skip the garam masala if you want.


Ingredients

4 large vine red tomatoes
1 large carrot
1 small potato peeled
1/4 inch long piece of ginger - grated
salt to taste
1 cup water
pinch of garam masala (skip it if you can't bear garam masala in soup)
freshly crushed black pepper to taste
1/2 tea spoon of butter


Wash and put the tomatoes, carrot, potato, grated ginger and salt and water in a pressure cooker and cook in high pressure for about 10 minutes.

Take the mashed contents out after the pressure cooker cools down and grind the contents in a food processor.

You can strain the contents through a sieve- but that will remove all the fiber from the food. So I usually skip this step.

In a large pan, add butter. Once it heats up add the garam masala and the contents from above. Add water and salt if needed.

Put into a soup bowl - add freshly crushed black pepper and serve.


This is also a good way to get the kids to eat some vegetables.

2 comments:

  1. This one is faourite too, as all ingredients are always available at home..
    Thanx for sending..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always welcome! I agree it is an all time favorite...

    ReplyDelete